Monday, October 1, 2007

La Ventana 1970 - A Bit of a Sneak Preview


Enjoying Jose Gonzales' newest - "Stay in the Shade" - it's an EP and I wish it were an LP - but nonetheless - it's an excellent listen. If you like excellent guitar playing combined with an easy, soulful voice then you'll love it. If you've never heard of him before, think of a combination of Josh Rouse and Rodrigo y Gabriela.

1970 was a big year for Texas Tech. Texas Technological College went to Austin and after much debating came back with a new name...Texas Tech University. The Seniors that year were the first to graduate from Texas Tech U. In celebration, the fountains in the middle of Memorial Circle were constructed but were not yet finished by the time the Seniors walked the stage.

The Speaker's Series included a young Ralph Nader who was still going toe-to-toe with GM over the Corvair and would attempt a run at the US Presidency in two more years.

The highlight of the year socially may have been a Homecoming concert, though:

I would also encourage you to click on the "interview" page below...it's funny, but not-on-purpose-funny. It's funny because we know how the story turns out. We know the answers to some of the questions...like "Is Chastity going to prefer women's genitalia to penises?" But seriously - the question is asked if they're ever going to do television and they dodge the question, but months later appear on their first TV Special "The Sonny and Cher Nitty Gritty Hour."


Of course you know I'm going to give you the 1970 cover girl - that's why you love me and keep coming back.

Is it just me or are the girls of this era just better looking than I imagined they might be? Wow - Tech's reputation for fine women has a long heritage and is well earned.

There will be another post with much more stuff - I need to wait for another week before all can be revealed.

Let's only say that I was stunned when reviewing this volume - and not only by the charms of the women...it turns out that the reputations of our rivals are also well-earned.

As always, click on the pics for larger images and enjoy. It's our pleasure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to bring down the room, but Bond's Miss Moneypenny, Lois Maxwell, passed away today.

Anonymous said...

I was at that Sonny & Cher concert and if my old-timer memory serves me correctly there was no "walking down" to get your diploma in May 1970 because a tornado came to town. Thirty years later they offered those graduates, me included, another chance to walk down for the diploma.