Sunday, August 12, 2007

Your grandma ain't that smart



From SI.com...

First my hopes were so high but then I had my e-feelings hurt a little bit tonight:(

I wondered aloud - is the Big 12 player mentioned below a Red Raider? Is he reading DiscoTech! brilliance? Is he forwarding the Disco site address to all his buddies?

And then I realized that I'm missing out on a small but important demographic - the student-athlete blog reader. Most of these guys aren't even reading my unbelievably intelligent musings!

It is clear though that athlete's grandmas are posting on Texags. That explains some, but not all, of the mystery.

8. Do you read message boards or blogs where fans discuss your team?

Yes: 39.5%
No: 60.5%

Notes: For the purposes of this survey, if a player answered "sometimes," it was counted as a "yes" response... Twenty-four players answered "yes" outright, while 23 answered "sometimes." ... Approximately 68 percent of BCS players responded "no," compared to approximately 51 percent of non-BCS players.

Quotable: "I read it if I want to have a good laugh," said one Big 12 player. "Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that they're showing their opinions, but at the end of the day, they don't know what's going on." ... Most players who responded "no" said the people who write on message boards or blogs do not know what they're talking about. Said one MAC player: "My grandma could guess the same thing."

No comments: