Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Can you catch up with Jonathan Johnson?




TexasTech.cstv.com just ran a fantastic story on Jonathan Johnson...the only Tech athlete that I know of that was a student and on the Olympic team simultaneously.

The last time I was in Lubbock was actually during the 2004 Olympics. I watched Jonathan race on tape delay at the old Hub City Brewery. I made sure that day to not look at the web or the TV so that the semi-final heat he ran in was a surprise.

I was a kick to see him represent Tech so well.

He said his ultimate goal for his career would be to win a medal at the Olympics and everything he does is geared towards that.

"That is something that hasn't been done in a while for an American in the 800m. For me to do that would be something special and I'm really going to work hard to do that. I'm definitely on the right track. I'm as focused as I have ever been. There are only three medalists at the Olympic Games, so that's three out of the whole world. I know that I have to take care of business and I have to do everything that I can right now and put the work in to be right where I want to be."

No comments: